Saturday, December 27, 2014

Again, Fayose slams Fayemi over unpaid salary

The Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose, on Friday again slammed the former state governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, over the finances of the state and unpaid workers’ salary.


FAYOSE—Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State (M), taking Oath of Office before the Chief Judge of Ekiti, Justice Ayodeji Daramola, in Ado-Ekiti, yesterday. With them is the governor’s wife, Mrs Feyisetan Fayose. Photo: Dare Fasube FAYOSE—Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State (M), taking Oath of Office before the Chief Judge of Ekiti, Justice Ayodeji Daramola, in Ado-Ekiti, yesterday. With them is the governor’s wife, Mrs Feyisetan Fayose. Photo: Dare Fasube


The governor who accused Fayemi of wasteful spending while featuring on his monthly media chat, “Meet Your Governor”, said the precarious financial situation of the state would not allow him to pay the salary arrears he inherited from him.


He told civil servants in the state that they would have to wait longer to get their September salary.


The governor explained that the deductions from the allocation of the state from the bond sourced by the last administration and commercial loans obtained from banks had adversely affected the state’s finances.


He said, “I became governor on October 16 and that is two months and ten days now and I want to state categorically that I have managed the resources of the state very well.


“Now coming here to tell the people that I will pay September salaries, no, no, I will not say that. The salaries I am paying now, I had interface with banks to give me leeway for six months to be able to arrange myself.


“If anybody is expecting me to pay September salary now, that person is deceiving himself. Where will I get from? If somebody was in office four years and he owed you two months’ salary arrears and I’ve been in office for two months and I’ve not owed salaries from the time I took office; our people should be patient.


“This government has been in office for just two months now and people are complaining, what are they complaining about? We should not be deceiving ourselves. Oil benchmark used to be $78 but it has now dropped to $62.”


Fayose said things would get better if the workers were patient and showed understanding.


He said, “Fayose loves you all but I will not sell my house or children to pay salaries. Since my coming to power, I have been paying deductions and I have ensured water supply to Ikoro, Ijero, Moba and we are closer to Aramoko and Iyin.


“Some people will say ‘abandon other sectors and pay our money’, but are we going to leave health, water, education and other sectors?”


Fayose also revealed that governors of Jigawa, Adamawa and Katsina states sent rams and cows to him as part of their contributions to his “stomach infrastructure” agenda for Christmas celebrations.


He explained that he took the step in his desire to make Ekiti people happy and ensure that they do not go hungry during the festive season.


Fayose had earlier accused Fayemi of wasteful spending and plunging the state into debts. He said his administration had been paying N700m monthly to service bank loans of over N21bn.


Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Viewed 1 times
Again, Fayose slams Fayemi over unpaid salary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping your response, there are other interesting news on the page too