Showing posts with label Oredo. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Oredo. Show all posts

Friday, January 8, 2016

Edo 2016: Provide level playing field for all aspirant - Osaro Obaze tells APC

The Chairman of Oredo Local Government Council in Edo state, Mr Osaro Obaze, has asked the state chapter of the APC to provide a level playing field for all gubernatorial aspirants vying for the ticket and avoid mistakes of the immediate past.


Hon. Osaro Obazee Oredo Local Government Chairman
Hon. Osaro Obazee Oredo Local Government Chairman

He said that the Edo of 2016 could not be the Edo of 2008.


He also urged the party to shun endorsement and imposition of favoured aspirants by a godfather because of grave political consequences.


Addressing a press conference in Benin City, Obaze said: “A proper primary election must be conducted to ensure that the candidate that will emerge will enjoy 70% to 80% general acceptance by the party followers in particular and appeal to the electorate in general.


“For the avoidance of doubt, let me remind our leaders of the danger of one person playing the role of godfatherism and trying to impose a candidate against the wishes of the member of the party.


“This is against the recent events in last year’s Presidential and National Assembly elections in which the party suffered huge loses as a result of wrongful imposition of candidates in Ovia Federal Constituency, that is, Osahon versus Charity Amayamvbo.


“Let me also remind our esteemed delegates that unlike previous election, the comrade governor is not going to be on the ballot paper. It is therefore imperative that we shun the antics of godfather and embrace the rule of democratic process, as the candidate that will emerge from the contesting political parties will be voted for on the basis of their antecedents.”


On reports that he will vote against his party, he said: “Let me also say that at no time did I say that I will vote for Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu. Such insinuation was the handiwork of my political detractors, who want to pull me down politically.



Edo 2016: Provide level playing field for all aspirant - Osaro Obaze tells APC

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

20 people injured as two revenue collectors" clash in Benin

Oredo Secretariat and Ring road in Benin City witness a standstill yesterday after two revenue-collecting group clashed resulting to no fewer than 20 persons sustaining different levels of injuries.


Political Thugs in Nigeria, APCThe clash started at about 11.30am with youths seeing with cutlasses at the Ring road area and the Council secretariat.


The alleged clash is said to be between those authorized to collect revenue in the council area and some youths suspected to be members of All Progressives Congress, APC, who claimed to have the authority of the state government to take over revenue collection in the council.


The revenue collectors in the council were appointed by the suspended chairman of the Council, Mr. Osaro Obaze, who allegedly distributed the revenue to assist party leaders in Oredo.


However, these collectors, who were agents of different political leaders in the council, reportedly resisted the attempt to take over revenue collection by the youths.


It was learnt that there were sporadic firing of gun shots at the entire Ring road by the opposing groups before the deployment of policemen by the state Commissioner of Police, Chris Ezike.


The Commissioner reportedly noted that some of the youths sustained injuries, and urged the state government to announce the authentic revenue collectors to avoid future crisis.


According to him, “One of the groups said it has authority of the state government and the other said it has authority of the local government area.


“Some people were assaulted and I have asked some officials in New Benin to investigate the matter and go after the suspects who assaulted those people,” the Commissioner added.



20 people injured as two revenue collectors" clash in Benin

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Suspended Oredo LG Chairman, Osaro Obazee denies embezzlement allegation

Suspended Chairman of Oredo LG council, Hon. Osaro Obazee has responded to allegations of embezzlement, non-payment of salaries, appointment of unauthorized personnel among others leveled against him by the state government.


Hon. Osaro Obazee Oredo Local Government Chairman
Hon. Osaro Obazee Oredo Local Government Chairman

Addressing the press this afternoon, the chairman said he decided to clear the air on the allegation of inability to pay salaries leading to his suspension and others, the chairman said though he would have declined comments until records are straightened, but for the sake of his political future and the concerns from friends and family members, he decided to speak.


He explained that the negative reports being peddled against the council were capable of denting his political image, stating that Oredo LGA had been negatively portrayed in regards to allocations coming into the council.


For example, reports emanating from the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, claims that Oredo accrued a lump sum of about N1,057,156,604.67 for the period January to October allocation; money that should be enough to cater for the needs of the council.


But in his explanation, the chairman highlighted details of allocation received to include

January 6,714,000,

February 39,218,000,

March 720, 000,

April 13,116,000,

June 886,000,

July 14,581,000,

August 37,244,000,


Sept less than 10,000, 000, which is about a total of N102,579,700 for the period January till date. He went further to explain that the monthly wage bill for the council is put at N54, 000,000, which is a total of 486,600,000 for the nine months he has been in office; stating that his total deficit is put at 383,000,000 deficit for the period.


He however explained that deficits in the council, started in October 2014, and till may when he took over there had not been any allocation that has been enough for the payment of salaries, stating that internal generated revenue were used take care of essential duties.


According to him, the council carries out evacuation of waste from the 12 markets under the council on a daily basis, also stating that teachers in the council have been paid up to date, while pointing out that the least the council had spent on salaries, is between 114,000,000 to 126,000,000; while monthly pension is 22.6 million plus, but what led to the 39milion being alleged according to him, was the increased on allocation accruing from some months the pensions were not paid. He stated that part of the money for pensions was still being owed because some of the funds were used to take care of staff salaries.


As I speak with you I have paid up to April, though not all staff has been paid. I have a deficit of 383,000,000 for only salaries. It might interest you to know that I made electioneering promises to my people, so when i hear people come on air to say that the local government is not doing anything, I feel very bad. He said


These are the issues about salaries. The problem is not peculiar or restricted to Oredo alone, it is about 15 LGA in Edo state that are affected by this, and that is what led to the government supporting to guaranty the loans that we got from CBN, popular called “bailouts” funds. The bailout funds are here, and we are fine-tuning arrangements to ensure that these monies are paid.


While thanking the Governor for the major role he played in ensuring the LGAs got the loans, the Chairman also promised to ensure that the money would be adequately used, and Oredo council’s name would be removed from the list of councils owing workers salaries.


On other issues especially those concerning IGR, Hon. Osaro explained that the allegations came to him as a rude shock.


According to him; a few months ago, the House of assembly had called on the LGAs to submit their IGRs and what was expended from the revenue, and he was cleared from that issue, stating his council ought not to be called out on the matter.


On the issues of contracts and employments without due process, he also stated that the local government service commission is the one in charge of employment that he has not employed more hands because it will be unreasonable for him to do so when other staff were yet to be paid. According to him, the last time he had the opportunity to award any contract, was six months ago, and the contracts were duly awarded, following due process from the govt house.


On diversion of funds; he enumerated some of the jobs done under his short tenure to include, a 7 roads project with walk ways and standard drainage along Aghosa area, out of which 5 have been completed, and two are currently ongoing, the remodeling of Oredo local govt secretariat, which was an eye saw as at the time he assumed office, an ultra modern market in Ekea area, though not completed, the market is already being used.


Others include, the rural electrification projects, schools, toileting facilities at various popular markets in Benin, new Benin market for example he said was without convenience, and he was able to bring about a change in that area. Oba market got a renovation of about 104 toilets, the cemetery which was one of his campaign promises, is today highly maintained, saying that he even partnered with a private company to make 3rd cemetery the best in the state, and in the south-south geopolitical zone.


Second cemetery according to him; is today under construction, with an attached centre where funeral services can be held, health facilities have been part of his priority as he has ensured a routine immunization for the people of the council. The council also donated money for the building new Benin market police station to ensure maximum security in the area.


On whether his attention was called on these issues before his suspension, the chairman responded that the issues came to him as a rude shock, while emphasizing on the importance of fair hearing, the he said he was not even given an opportunity to defend himself, but he will be ready and available when a panel is put on ground and he is called upon to answer questions.



Suspended Oredo LG Chairman, Osaro Obazee denies embezzlement allegation

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Man jailed for store-breaking in Edo

A 21- year old man, Innocent Iyere, has been jailed by an Oredo Magistrate Court for store breaking.


Innocent was sentenced to 12- month imprisonment after he was found guilty of the two count charges slammed on him.


Police Prosecutor, Inspector Thomas Ojo, told the court that Iyere and another accomplice now at large committed the offence on May 2 at No. 1 Freedom Street Junction, Ihama Street in Benin City.


Ojo said the duo conspired to break into a welder store with the intention to steal working tools.


He said the offence committed contravened Sections 413 and 516 of the Criminal Code Cap 48. Vol II Laws of the defunct Bendel of Nigeria 1976 as applicable in Edo



Man jailed for store-breaking in Edo

Friday, August 28, 2015

Bus crushes man, severs head in Edo

There was tragedy on Friday in Ekae community, Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State, when a mass transit bus ‎crushed a man to death and severed his head.


Edo Bus

Okere Alexander


‎The incident was said to have occurred at about 12:30pm along Sapele road, Benin, the state capital.


‎An eyewitness in the area disclosed that the victim and a woman, believed to be his wife, were waiting to board a vehicle to Warri, Delta State, when the 50-seater bus, with number plate ED110-B28 and operated by the Edo State Government, veered off the road and knocked him down, killing him instantly.


The woman was said to have narrowly escaped being hit by the vehicle, while some of passengers on the vehicle were said to have sustained varying degrees of injury.


“They were waiting to board a bus to Warri when the Comrade Bus suddenly‎ hit him.


“It look like the brake failed because of the way the bus just hit the man and removed his head. The man died instantly but the woman was lucky to jump and escape,” the eyewitness said.


The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Mr. Oluwasusi Familoni, who confirmed the incident, told our correspondent on the telephone that the identity of the deceased could not be ascertained at the time of the accident.


He, however, said the remains of the victim was deposited at the Stella Obasanjo Hospital.


“It happened at about 12:30pm involving a Comrade Bus along Sapele road. It killed a man that was travelling with his wife.


“But the body was deposited at the Stella Obasanjo Hospital.‎ By the time we got there, the occupants of the vehicle had left,” Familoni added.



Bus crushes man, severs head in Edo