Showing posts with label Onaiyekan. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Onaiyekan. Show all posts

Monday, February 15, 2016

Boko Haram: Don’t starve troops of fund, says Onaiyekan

The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, urged the Federal Government to remain steadfast in restoring Nigeria to the path of sanity, probity and accountability.


Onaiyekan said at the opening ceremony of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), held at Our Lady Queen of Nigeria in Abuja: “This is not a smooth and easy process, we all are going through, but we need to go beyond the legal processes, to a serious national moral spiritual rebirth.


“We need to explore alternative and parallel strategies, based on the moral principles of repentance, reparation and reconciliation.”


He assured the government that the Catholic Church and some other religious groups were prepared to play a positive role in the on-going war against corruption.


Cardinal Onaiyekan recalled the efforts of the Church towards eliminating corruption, with prayers, warnings and exhortations.


“We have to put concrete structures of collaboration in place in the on-going war against corruption.


“The religious institutions of the nation cannot remain aloof while a moral, spiritual battle is raging in the country,” he added.


Cardinal Onaiyekan praised the government for the success recorded so far in the fight against the Boko-Haram insurgents.


“It is hoped that the alleged criminal diversion of funds meant for arms into private pockets has now stopped.


“Our gallant troops must never again be left with inadequate resources to carry out the dangerous task imposed on them on our behalf,” he said.


He also urged the government to encourage dialogue across and within religious communities to bring about a lasting reconciliation among diverse groups.


The Cardinal pointed out that the insurgency in the Northeast had revealed the significant presence of Christian population in the zone.


“We still have on our hands a lot of healing and reconciliation to do before our displaced people can safely return to their homes, farms and grazing land.


“They deserve special attention in the programmes of reconstruction and rehabilitation,” he stressed.



Boko Haram: Don’t starve troops of fund, says Onaiyekan

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Boko Haram: Buhari can"t take all the credit without Jonathan - Archbishop Onaiyekan

The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, John Onaiyekan, has commended the Federal Government for its efforts at ensuring that the military reclaim territories formerly controlled by Boko Haram.


Jonathan and Buhari
Jonathan and Buhari

Onaiyekan, who  he spoke at  a cocktail  for the Diplomatic Community in Abuja said, ” I think we should congratulate the government because Boko Haram no longer control large territories of our country but all the credit will not go to the President Muhammadu Buhari. It started from the Goodluck Jonathan administration.


“What is left is to find a way of bringing reconciliation and peace in the affected area. There are many people who have been injured, angry apart from the fact that Boko Haram had done a lot of distraction in their life.


“We have to work on that seriously for this to happen. We need a whole lot of good will and patient.”


He also said there was nothing wrong with the December deadline issued by President Buhari to end the menace of Boko Haram.


“People always set targets.  If you are not lucky, you will get there and if you are not lucky you may not get there.


“Insurgency does not end easily, what I can say is that they have managed to ensure that Boko Haram is no longer a structured and organize fighting force.”



Boko Haram: Buhari can"t take all the credit without Jonathan - Archbishop Onaiyekan