Showing posts with label Haliru Bello. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Haliru Bello. Show all posts

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Alleged N300m fraud: EFCC docks ex-PDP boss, Bello, son

We’re ready for trial, Bello, son tell court

Brought to court in ambulance, took plea in wheelchair

Judge determines bail applications tomorrow


By Ikechukwu Nnochiri


ABUJA — The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, yesterday, docked former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Dr. Haliru Bello, before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.


PDP, Dr. Haliru Bello
PDP, Dr. Haliru Bello

Bello, a one-time Minister of Defence, was arraigned alongside his son, Abba, on a four-count criminal charge bordering on alleged N300 million fraud.


Whereas Bello’s son was charged as the first accused person, a firm, BAM Projects and Properties Limited, which the EFCC said was used to perpetuate the fraud, was cited as the 2nd accused person in the matter.


The anti-graft agency alleged that the accused persons, through the firm, withdrew N300 million from an account the  Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, operated with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.


The fund was said to have been transferred to the accused persons by the embattled former National Security Adviser, NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd), 11 days to the 2015 presidential election.


Brought to court in ambulance


Meanwhile, the ex-PDP boss, who was brought to court yesterday  in an ambulance, took his plea in a wheelchair.


The defendants pleaded not guilty to the four-count charge dated December 23 but amended on December 30,  2015, even as their lawyers, yesterday, prayed the court to okay their release on bail.


Both father and son predicated their separate bail applications on sections 162 and 165(1) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, as well as sections 35 and 36(5) (6) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.


They told the court, yesterday, that they were ready to answer to the charges against them.


Bail applications


Specifically, the former PDP boss, through his lawyer, Mr. Abdulaziz Ibrahim, urged the court to grant him bail on self recognition.


Bello told the court that he was still recuperating from a spinal cord surgery he had in the United Kingdom, stressing that he was previously granted administrative bail by the EFCC.


Besides, Bello tendered five exhibits in support of his bail motion, among which included three photographs he took while undergoing surgery.


He also tendered medical report issued to him by the hospital in the UK, as well as a letter his lawyer wrote to the EFCC, which indicated  his willingness to surrender himself for investigation.


According to Bello’s lawyer, “the important factor which your lordship is enjoined to consider in granting or refusing bail is the availability of the accused person to stand his trial.


“Here is the 3rd defendant who just had a critical spinal cord surgery in the UK. Immediately after the surgery, he was summoned by the EFCC. With the wound from the surgery still fresh, my client had to be  rushed to another hospital in Nigeria.


“He was brought to this court this morning straight from his hospital bed in an ambulance. Is this the kind of person that can take a flight if granted bail? The answer is no.


“Health condition is a serious factor to be considered. The 3rd defendant is over 70 years old, an elder statesman who has served this country meritoriously in various capacities.


“My lord, he is not only a former Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, but also former chairman of one of the biggest political parties in Africa.


“We pray this court to grant him bail on self recognition or in the alternative, grant him bail in the most liberal terms. He has responsible persons that are ready to stand surety  for him.”


Similarly, his son, Abba, through his lawyer, Mr. O. Osoka, also prayed the court to grant him bail on health ground.


He tendered an order made by another court headed by Justice Okeke, which he said okayed his release on bail. More so, the accused persons contended that the charge against them are ordinarily bailable.


While Bello’s bail request was dated December 31, his son filed his motion December 30, 2015.


EFCC opposes bail applications


Meantime, the EFCC, via two separate counter-affidavits that were deposed to by one of its detectives, Mr. Mohammed Goji, yesterday,  opposed the release of the accused persons on bail.


EFCC lawyer, Mr. Aliyu Yusuf, argued that the accused persons did not place sufficient evidence to warrant the court to exercise its discretion in their favour.


The prosecution urged the court to consider the severity of the charge which it said attracts a maximum of 14 years imprisonment, as well as the proof of evidence against the accused persons, and deny them bail.


It argued that neither Bello nor his son adduced any evidence to show that they would not get proper medical attention from the prison hospital.


EFCC maintained that the accused persons, if released, have the capacity to interfere with the cause of justice.


He said: “We submit that this court has discretion to either grant or refuse bail. That discretion must be exercised judicially and judiciously.


“Looking at the evidence before this court, the defendant/applicants have not placed sufficient materials to warrant the exercise of discretion in their favour. The accused persons are facing a very serious offence.


“On the whole, we urge, my lord, to refuse the bail application and invoke section 19(2b) of the EFCC Act, 2004, and order accelerated hearing of this case.”


After listening to all the parties yesterday, Justice Mohammed,  reserved ruling on the matter till tomorrow.


While remanding the son in prison custody,  Justice Mohammed held that since it was not in doubt that Bello was brought to court from his hospital bed, “the 3rd accused is hereby put under the supervision of the Inspector General of Police pending the determination of his bail application.”


Justice Mohammed ordered the chief registrar of the court to immediately draw the attention of the IGP to the court order.


Shortly after the ruling yesterday, the former Chairman was conveyed back to the hospital in an ambulance belonging to Abuja clinics.



Alleged N300m fraud: EFCC docks ex-PDP boss, Bello, son

Sunday, December 27, 2015

$2.1b arms scandal: PDP ex-national chair Bello, son for trial

•EFCC arrests son, father hooks up in hospital


All is set for the commencement of the trial of a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Dr. Haliru Bello Mohammed and his son, Abbah for alleged corruption by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday.


Corruption in NigeriaOperatives of the anti-graft agency yesterday arrested Abbah ahead of his arraignment and father.


However, Mohammed who at different times headed the Nigerian Customs Service and was Minister of Defence was said to be on admission in an Abuja hospital for an undisclosed illness last night.


He was said to be too weak to report to the EFCC in preparation for his arraignment.


Sources said the commission was monitoring Mohammed’s health status.


Mohammed, according to sources, was implicated in the N31billion slush funds distributed to some PDP stalwarts for the 2015 election campaign by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA).


A former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd), a former Minister of State for Finance, Amb. Bashir Yuguda and eight others are currently on trial in two separate courts in the High Court of Justice of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).


Yuguda, in his statement, admitted paying about N300 million into the account of BAM Properties, which was provided by Haliru Mohammed.


It was gathered that the slush funds in BAM Properties’ account had been traced to the ex-PDP National Chairman and his son.


It was learnt that about N600million was credited to Abbah and he would have to explain in court how he came about it and the purpose.


A top level source who is familiar with the case  said: “we have reached an appreciable bend in our investigation of the former National Chairman of PDP and his son, Abbah.


“Part of the $2.1billion meant for the purchase of arms has been traced to BAM Properties through authorization by the former PDP boss.


“All is now set for the prosecution of Haliru Bello Mohammed and Abbah Mohammed for their role in the diversion of funds meant for the procurement of arms in the office of the National Security Adviser.


“The EFCC has already filed charges against the two suspects at a Federal High Court in Abuja.


“Though the matter is yet to be assigned to a specific judge, the former minister and his son are most likely to be docked on a four-count money laundering charge on Tuesday, December 29 or Wednesday December 30.


“Abbah Mohammed is alleged to have received N600m from ONSA in the name of BAM Properties”


Responding to a question, the source added: “We have already arrested Abbah in preparation for his trial. He has made a useful statement; it is left to him to prove his innocence in court.


“As for the ex-PDP National Chairman, he is hooked up in a hospital in Abuja on medical grounds. We are keeping a close tab on him, including update on his health status.


“We will however prefer charges against him and his son. We hope he will be on his feet on time for his trial.”


In a Statement of Witness/ Caution which he wrote on oath, Yuguda  admitted to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he gave N600million cash to six chairmen of the Contact and Mobilization Committees of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) for the 2015 general Election.


He listed the beneficiaries as Bode George (South-West); Amb. Yerima Abdullahi (North-East); Peter Odili (South-South); Attahiru Bafarawa (North-West); Jim Nwobodo (South -East); North-Central (Ahmadu  Ali).


George, Nwobodo and Odili have denied collecting cash from Yuguda.


Bode George admitted that only $30,000 was given to the South-West Contact and Mobilization Committee.


He also said he instructed Jabbama Limited to transfer N300million to BAM Properties whose account was given to him by a former National Chairman of PDP, Bello Haliru.


Only ex-Governor Attahiru Bafarawa admitted that he collected N100million from Yuguda through Sagir Attahiru.


The ex-Minister said: “For the cash disbursement of N600million, it was meant for the six zonal chairmen for Contact and Mobilization Committees for Election of 2015. The chairmen are Bode George (South-West); Amb. Yerima Abdullahi (North-East); Peter Odili( South-South); Attahiru Bafarawa( North-East); Jim Nwobodo( South -East); North-Central (Ahmadu  Ali). The sum of N100million was given to each chairman. I gave the money in company of Prof. Alkali, who was Political Adviser to former President. The zonal chairmen are for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). I also instructed Jabbama Limited to transfer the sum of N100m to Dalhatu Limited on the request of Attahiru Bafarawa.


“I also remember that Bello Sarkin Yaki was among the people that the then NSA instructed that I send the sum of N200million to. He was the PDP gubernatorial candidate in Kebbi State.”


Yuguda, who claimed that he had liaised with Stallion Limited, gave the details of other disbursements.”


He added: “I knew the chairman of Stallion Limited whose second name I cannot remember. Between December 2014 to June 2015, on the instruction of the then NSA, I introduced Jabbama Limited to a staff of the company on the instruction of the chairman.


“When the account was in credit, disbursement was made from time to time on the instruction of the then NSA. Part in foreign exchange or transfers.


“I wish to add that sometime in February 2015, I instructed Jabbama to transfer the sum of N300m to BAM Properties. The account was given to me by Bello Haliru as one of the people the former NSA requested me to give money. I also remember that Mahmud Aliyu Shinkafi was sent the sum of N100million on the instruction of the then NSA.


“Further to my statement of 30th November, 2015, I have brought the sum of $829,800(equivalent to N200m) and a N600m was given to me to distribute to the six PDP Zonal Committee chairmen. I don’t know who are the directors of Dalhatu Investment Limited but funds were transferred to the company’s account on the instruction of Dalhatu Bafarawa for the total amount of N1.5billion received from the then NSA by Jabbama Limited.


“I shall endeavour to recover the sum of N600million given to the six zonal PDP committee chairmen, while I appeal to the commission to use their machineries to trace the remaining  balance of the money transferred to various accounts.”


The former Minister however denied receiving another N200million credited to him.


“I have been shown transaction of N200million from the Office of the Accountant-General to Jabbama which Jabbama said it’s  on my instruction but I cannot remember this instruction until I crosscheck,” he said.


Some of the charges against Yuguda are: “That you Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki whilst being National Security Adviser and Shaibu Salisu, whilst being the Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the National Security Adviser, Bashir Yuguda whilst being the Minister of State for Finance between 5th February and 16th April 2015 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court entrusted with dominion over certain properties to wit: an aggregate sum of N1.1billion being part of the funds in the account of the National Security Adviser with CBN committed criminal breach of trust in respect of the said property when you transferred same to the account of Jabbama Ada Global Services Nigeria Limited for the purpose of financing the campaign of PDP in the 2015 general election and you thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 315 of the Penal Code Act, Cap 532, Vol.4, LFN 2004.


“That you, Bashir Yuguda whilst being Minister of State for Finance between 23rd December 2014 and 10th February, 2015 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court dishonestly misappropriated certain property to wit: an aggregate sum of $9,809,619 which was an equivalent of the aggregate sum of N1,950,000 belonging to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which sum was transferred to Jabbama Ada Global Services to be converted into the said dollars and you  thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 309  of the Penal Code Act, Cap 532, Vol.4, LFN 2004.”



$2.1b arms scandal: PDP ex-national chair Bello, son for trial

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Haliru Bello emerges as PDP new BOT Chairman

A former Minister of Defence, Dr. Haliru Bello, on Monday emerged the acting Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party.


Haliru Bello, PDP BOT Chairman

Haliru Bello, PDP BOT Chairman


Bello, who was also a former acting national chairman of the party, replaces Chief Tony Anenih who resigned from office last week.


The decision to make Bello the acting chairman of the PDP BOT was taken at a meeting held inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.


He was said to be the only nomination made at the meeting.


The meeting which started at about 9.05pm and presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan had Vice President Namadi Sambo; President of the Senate, David Mark; and his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, in attendance.


Other members who were in attendance at the time the meeting started included the BoT secretary, Walide Jubril; Mrs. Josephine Anenih, Dr. Haliru Bello, Prof. Tunde Adeniran, Ibrahim Mantu, Prof. Jerry Gana, and Senator Hope Uzodinma among others.


Although Anenih was sighted at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, venue of the meeting, before it started, he was not inside the hall at the time Jonathan declared it opened.



Haliru Bello emerges as PDP new BOT Chairman