Showing posts with label Ekiti. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ekiti. Show all posts

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ekiti poll: ‘How military, DSS men caged opposition’

•Capt. Koli, 13 others testify before army’s panel


The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti State, Chief Olajide Awe, has said the role of the Army during the June 22 governorship election in Ekiti State was “better imagined than experienced”.


`Fayose, Omisore, Obanikoro
Fayose, Omisore, Obanikoro

He and 14 others yesterday testified before the Army panel of inquiry investigating the involvement of its officers and soldiers in the 2014/2015 governorship and presidential elections in Ekiti, Osun, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom states.


It was gathered that Army officers and personnel, including the famous Capt. Sagir Koli, who released the voice clip which alleged that former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musliu Obanikoro, rigged the election in favour of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had last week appeared before the panel.


The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 1 Mechanised Division, Kaduna, who is also the President of the panel, Maj-Gen. Adeninyi Oyebade, had on November 9, inaugurated the panel on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.


Gen Oyebade said the Army was deeply concerned about the alleged misconduct of its officers and men before, during and after the elections.


Testifying yesterday, Awe told the panel that the role of soldiers in the June 2014 governorship election in Ekiti was better imagined because according to him, it was more of a battle field between the soldiers and voters.


He alleged that before the election, party bigwigs, including former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, were prevented from entering the state for the party’s rally. Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole was grounded in Benin on the orders of the power-that-be.


The APC chairman said over N30 million meant for party agents and election works were confiscated by some soldiers, whose identity, particularly their name tags, were concealed with black bands.


Awe said 36,000 security personnel, including soldiers, invaded the state on the eve of the election, harassed and arrested party leaders, members and supporters.


He added that he received phone calls from party loyalists on election day, alleging the maltreatment soldiers were meting out to them.


The APC chairman said the whereabouts of the Director-General of the Fayemi Campaign Organisation, Bimbo Daramola, who escaped arrest in Ire, was still unknown even after the election.


Awe told the panel that there was no election in the state, noting that former Governor Kayode Fayemi accepted the outcome of that election for peace to reign in the state.


He said while he objected, Fayemi replied that “look if we say we cannot accept the election result, we will put the lives of our people in danger”.


The APC leader added that “Fayemi accepted the result in the name of peace. Some of this did not go down well with our people. We took the decision to accept the result for the sake of peace in the state.”


Asked by Gen. Oyebade if there was a report of killing during the election, Awe said there was none.


He, however, said that in his village, several houses were razed, 15 vehicles destroyed and several people kidnapped.


“Some of these kidnapped victims were later found at Sagamu, Ogun State, with bruises on their bodies.


“Sir, there was no reports of anybody killed, but of robbery, harassment and intimidation,” Awe added.


The APC chieftain also fingered operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) and the police in the party’s misfortunes, saying that the “DSS did a lot havoc because its officials were close to the people”.


He explained that while the DSS officials wore hoods, the soldiers covered their name tags.


His words: “Prior to the June 22, 2014 governorship election in Ekiti State, we were excited when told that the Army will be involved in maintaining peace. A week or so after the soldiers arrived, our expectation was short-lived.


“On Wednesday, we started seeing that things were not as we thought. Thursday, we had a rally where most of our guests, especially party bigwigs were prevented from coming into the state.


“Nearly all major roads in Ekiti were blocked by the military. The stop and search was beyond what it should be. Money meant for the party agents and other logistics were taken by the soldiers.”


He urged the panel to allow him file photo evidence of his claim.


Gen Oyebade granted Awe’s prayer and asked him to submit the evidence within 48 hours.


When it was the turn of the Ekiti State PDP Secretary, Tope Aluko, to testify, he pleaded to be heard behind camera. The panel members obliged him for security reasons.



Ekiti poll: ‘How military, DSS men caged opposition’

Monday, November 16, 2015

Buhari is no different from Obasanjo with no respect for rule of law - Fayose

President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration resembles that of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo where the rule of law was not respected, because both have their root in military dictatorship, the Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose, said on Monday.


Fayose vows to lead opposition against APC
Fayose vows to lead opposition against APC

He condemned Buhari for what he termed his poor human rights record and alleged that his administration had made things worse for the nation.


Fayose said, “If you look and search the style of Buhari’s administration and compare it with that of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, who ruled the country between 1999 and 2007, the two administrations have a resemblance of military dictatorship.”


According to him, looking critically at the administration of the All Progressives Congress, people have discovered that the Buhari-led government does not possess an iota of human right.


He further alleged that Buhari had only concentrated on chasing members of the Peoples Democratic Party over alleged corruption.


Fayose spoke at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital, during the grand finale of the People’s Democratic Party rally for its Kogi State governorship candidate, Capt. Idris Wada.


Some of the dignitaries who attended the rally included the Governor of Ondo State, Olusegun Mimiko; the National Chairman, PDP, Prince Uche Secondus; a former National Chairman, Ahmadu Ali; Deputy Governor of Ebonyi State, Dr. Kelechi Igwe: the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisah Metuh; and Senator Smart Adeyemi.


Fayose accused the state APC governorship candidate, Prince Abubabakar Audu, of fraud, and wondered where Buhari was when the APC cleared the former governor of Kogi State to be the APC governorship candidate.


“It is laughable when the APC national body cleared Abubakar Audu to contest the governorship election when he is facing trail in the Lokoja High Court and in Abuja. Where was President Buhari? Can he claim that he is not in the know?,” he said.


Fayose alleged that Audu has had many corrupt charges against him in the last 12 years.


He urged President Buhari to examine thoroughly his close appointees, aides and party members like other people, saying the nation belongs to Nigerians.


The governor said, “The APC-led government only dillies-dally around the challenges confronting the nation; the issue of Boko Haram and the dwindling economic situation became worse in the last six months of the Buhari administration.


“This government has only achieved a lot in the area of chasing shadow, making the nation worse for the people.”


Fayose also alleged that the Federal Government a few day ago released N12.5bn to the Kogi State APC to enable the party perpetrate rigging and win the November 21 governorship election.


According to Fayose, the APC cannot win in Kogi State as the party is not strong in the state.


He further alleged that the N12.5bn was released from the Treasury Single Account championed by Buhari’s administration.



Buhari is no different from Obasanjo with no respect for rule of law - Fayose

Monday, November 9, 2015

Buratai set up panel to investigate army involvement in Ekiti, Osun, Rivers, Akwa Ibom election

KADUNA – The Chief of Army Staff, COAS, Gen. Tukur Buratai, has constituted a five-man board of generals to investigate alleged partisanship of members of the Nigeria Army during the 2015 general election.


The new Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Turkur BurataiGeneral Officer Commanding, GOC, 1 Division of the Nigeria Army, Maj. Gen. Adeniyi Oyebade, said he was made the Chairman of the board by Gen Buratai.


Other members of the board are Brig. Gen. Sunday Araoye, Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Kabuk, Brig. Gen. Baba Ibrahim and Col. Danladi Salihu who will serve as its secretary.


Addressing newsmen in Kaduna, yesterday, Gen Oyebade said: “There are allegations made by the general public on the gubernatorial elections conducted in some states such as Ekiti, Osun, Rivers and Akwa Ibom among others.


“These allegations are weighty and Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Buratai is determined to get to the root of the matter. The COAS insists on maintaining a professionally responsive Nigerian Army determined on discharging its constitutional roles, and as such instituted this Board of Inquiry.


“The panel is to investigate these allegations and recommend appropriate measures to prevent a re-occurrence in the future. The military as a noble profession must remain apolitical in our democratic dispensation.


“Politics, we strongly believe should be left entirely to politicians. The role of the military must strictly be in accordance with the provisions of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended.


“I must hasten to add, however, that despite these worrisome allegations, the military has to a large extent performed creditably as the foremost guardian of the nation’s democracy.”


“All petitions/memorandum are to be forwarded not later than Fri 20 Nov 2015. The panel shall commence its sitting from 9am – 5pm daily except Sundays starting from today Monday 9, 2015,”



Buratai set up panel to investigate army involvement in Ekiti, Osun, Rivers, Akwa Ibom election

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Ekiti crisis: PDP faction rejects senators’ intervention

The Tunde Olatunde-led faction of Peoples Democratic Party in Ekiti State has rejected the intervention of Senators from Ekiti in the crisis rocking the party in the state.


The Senators, Duro Faseyi, Mrs. Fatimat Raji-Rasak and Abiodun Olujimi, had on Monday reportedly declared support for Idowu Faleye-led State Executive Committee.


They also called on the National Working Committee of the party to wade into the factional crisis in the state.


Faleye purportedly stepped down as Acting PDP State Chairman on May 13 following pressure from members of the State Working Committee. He later refuted claims that he resigned from his position.


In a counter move, he presided over a SEC meeting on July 31, which suspended the factional Acting Chairman, Mr. Tunde Olatunde; State Secretary, Tope Aluko; Auditor, Tunji Olanrewaju; Woman Leader, Busola Oyebode and Assistant Secretary, Mr. Femi Esan.


Reacting to the open declaration of support for Faleye, Aluko in an interview with our correspondent on Tuesday maintained that Faleye’s appointment as Acting Chairman was wrong from the onset because “he is not a duly registered member of the party in the state.”


Besides, he said it was late to reverse his resignation from the State Working Committee, three months after.


He said, “Faleye voluntarily resigned after we confronted him with the facts of irregularities in his appointment as Acting Chairman. We did not force him.


“Besides, he is not a duly registered member of the PDP. He is leading only himself because we members of the SWC are behind Olatunde as the Acting Chairman. The senators should come home to seek the truth of the matter before they start declaring support.”



Ekiti crisis: PDP faction rejects senators’ intervention

Sunday, May 10, 2015

APC, Fayose bicker over kidnappings in Ekiti

‘Ekiti always ungovernable whenever APC loses power’

It’s Fayose fault — APC


As the wave of kidnapping in Ekiti State reaches a critical level, the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the state and Governor Ayodele Fayose are pointing accusing fingers at each other.


Fayose and Omirin

Fayose and Omirin


Barely a week after a nurse working with the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido Ekiti , Mrs Margaret Aladeneka, was kidnapped by unknown gunmen, former Chief Medical Director of the Ekiti State Teaching Hospital, Dr Patrick Adegun, was last Thursday abducted.


Adegun, who is a staff of EKSUTH was kidnapped at about 8.00pm alongside his wife, Kikelomo and taken to an unknown destination. They were kidnapped few metres from the gate of their house located at Goshen Avenue, Oke Ila within Ado Ekiti, the state capital.


Also, a lecturer at Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, Ile-Ife, Dr. Femi Omisore was at the weekend kidnapped by unidentified people in Ado Ekiti, while on his way to Oye Ekiti, where a new Federal University is located.


The lecturer, it was learnt, works at the Department of Environmental Design Management of the institution.


According to a source, the kidnappers also killed Omisore’s driver and burnt his vehicle.


It’s Fayose’s faults – APC

The APC in Ekiti has alleged that the failure of the governor to fulfil his promises to his rough-necks after using them for political violence had exposed the state to all manner of characters that now stalk the residents after the governor’s refusal to adequately finance security agencies to protect the people.


APC Publicity Secretary, Taiwo Olatubosun, said in statement that so far, the governor had failed to deliver on all his campaign promises, regretting that besides house-breaking and robbery incidents, six persons, including medical doctors, have been kidnapped in the state in the last five months.

According to him, the horror of the kidnapping of medical doctors has forced medical practitioners in the state to down tools.


“We raised the alarm when the trend started, calling the attention of Ekiti people to the governor’s refusal to fund security agencies like his predecessor, which was responsible for low crime rate between 2010 and 2014; even though Fayose increased his personal security vote to N200 million per month


“What is happening now is a confirmation of our earlier claim that the 19 APC lawmakers were targets of kidnapping to reduce their number in order to stall his impeachment. This would have been done if they had attended the meeting at ABUAD where we were reliably informed that an ambush had been laid for them,” Olatunbosun said.


He added that the recent kidnap incidents could not be detached from the earlier state of siege and insecurity by criminals after the government unleashed thugs, miscreants and Ado Ekiti jail break escapees to harass political opponents.


“The thugs, who are still currently being lodged in the Government House, had in the past unleashed terror on opposition members in every town across Ekiti State. We have every reason to believe that it is the same criminals and their colleagues from neighbouring Ondo State that are responsible for the recent kidnapping in the state,” Olatubosun said.


He added:”We raised the alarm about the state of insecurity in Ekiti in the last six months that Fayose mounted the saddle as governor. It was first jailbreak, followed by the reign of armed robbers, next was the reign of thugs who maimed opponents in all towns in Ekiti and now it is kidnappers.


“We call on security agencies, especially the Acting IGP Solomon Arase, to revisit our petitions on the thugs sheltered in the Government House by Fayose who he has been using to harass APC members, including the 19 lawmakers. They should be arrested and prosecuted now. Their details are with the security agents already.


“We sympathise with Ekiti people who were deceived by Fayose into believing he is the best for them. They now know better, as the difference between a government that really cared for the masses and a government of stunts and deceit is becoming clearer by the day.”


The APC vampires are back, Fayose alleges

According to the assertion by governor Fayose’s Media Aide on New Media, Mr Lere Olayinka; ‘’No doubt, Ekiti State is always made ungovernable whenever the All Progressives Congress elements lose power in the state.


‘’When Engr Segun Oni of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was governor, they made Ekiti ungovernable, using organised crime – Kidnapping and armed robbery.


‘’In just one year (2009 – 2010) that they invaded Ekiti State with the Charles Ojo Ovie-led gang; here are a few of what they did; January 3, 2009 – Kehinde Fasubaa was killed in Ado-Ekiti; August 2, 2009 – Three officers of the State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) – SP Mohammed Manua, CPL Wasiu Olatunbosun and CPL Simeon Obadero were killed at Fajuyi Park area, Ado Ekiti; August 3, 2008 – The then Trade Union Congress (TUC) Chairman, Barrister R.K. Olaiya and his wife, Barrister Franca Olaiya, Chief Olayode Olusola and two others were kidnapped at Ikole-Ekiti. The victims were coming to Ado-Ekiti in a Toyota Corolla car with registration number EK 621 A01;

October 7, 2009 – One Rev Jeje, Sanusi and Odigie Harrison were killed at Ifaki-Ekiti during an armed robbery; January 30, 2010 – Attah of Aiyede, Oba Adeleye Orisagbemi, Provost of the College of Education, Ikere, Dr. Gabriel Olowoyo and two others were kidnapped and murdered.


According to him; ‘’Now that their evil plot to impeach Governor Ayodele Fayose has failed, they have resorted to their old tactics – organised crimes!


‘’Kidnapping is now rampant in Ekiti as it was in 2009 when they desperately wanted to snatch power from Engr Segun Oni of the PDP.’’


 



APC, Fayose bicker over kidnappings in Ekiti

Monday, April 13, 2015

Ekiti APC Rejects House Of Assembly Results

The All Progressives Congress in Ekiti State has rejected the results of the state House of Assembly and vows to challenge at the tribunal.


In a press statement issued by the party secretary, Taiwo Olatubosun, The All Progressives Congress said that the election was full of irregularities.


The People’s Democratic Party has won 25 constituencies out of 26 in Ekiti State House of Assembly polls.


Ilejemeje constituency is still on hold over the crisis resulting to ballot snatching and the attack on the officials of INEC.



Ekiti APC Rejects House Of Assembly Results