Showing posts with label Dalori. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Dalori. Show all posts

Sunday, February 7, 2016

We will not vacate our homes for Boko Haram - monach, residents, vow in Dalori

The District Head of Dalori, Alhaji Usman Lawan Dalorima and residents have informed President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State that no amount of pressure from Boko Haram attacks will compel them to desert their community and become refugees in  Maiduguri.


Boko Haram leader, Shekau
Abubakar Shekau

They insisted that, despite the calamity that befell them, penultimate Saturday, where over 150 people were allegedly killed and houses torched by terrorists, they would stay back in their ancestral home, as death, according to them, is inevitable in any society.


The stakeholders, including the Borno State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Ali Bukar Dalori, made their position known at the destroyed palace of the District Head when  Buhari, represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Mr. Babachir David Lawal, led  three ministers on a condolence visit to Dalori.


The residents also kicked against the  digging of trenches around the community by the military to protect them from further Boko Haram attacks, calling on government, particularly NEMA, to provide them with food items and rebuild their destroyed houses instead.


“We are grateful for the visit to sympathize with us over the unfortunate attacks last Saturday, but we are appealing to government to stop the ongoing digging of trenches around our community, because these trenches will prevent our people whenever there is an attack from fleeing as an escape route in the community.


“ We are not going anywhere. This is our land and we have no other place than Dalori. We are not against deployment of security personnel to this community, but my people are strongly against surrounding them with trenches”, the APC Chairman said on behalf of the community.


Responding, the SGF said the team was in Dalori on behalf of Buhari who was on official foreign trip at the time of the attack, and prayed God to grant eternal rest to those who lost their lives in the attacks and wished the injured quick recovery.



We will not vacate our homes for Boko Haram - monach, residents, vow in Dalori

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Boko Haram burns children, kills 86 in Borno attacks

Terror group, Boko Haram, was alleged to have burnt some children to death when the militants overran Dalori, a village four kilometres outside Maiduguri, where about 80 residents of the community were killed on Saturday night.


Double bombing rocks Jos, 13-year-old with suicide vest held


The Area Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency in Borno State, Mohammed Kanar, said 86 bodies were picked up in the village on Sunday.


Hospital sources added that no fewer than 70 persons were receiving treatment in hospitals around the area.


A resident who managed to escape the attack, claimed that screams of children could be heard from burning houses as the embattled villagers ran in confusion to exit the village as the destruction raged.


Also, a survivor, who said he hid on a tree, stated that he watched Boko Haram extremists firebomb huts and heard the screams of children burning to death, AP reports.


On Sunday, while some residents had managed to return to their houses which had been razed, one of our correspondents observed that some burnt bodies and others, riddled with bullets, littered the streets and some burnt houses in the town.


One of those who had returned to the village on Sunday told one of our correspondents that insurgents including suicide bombers attacked the town, which also spilled over to the Internally Displaced Persons’ camps around the village.


Speaking on condition of anonymity, he added that the suicide bombers mingled with fleeing villagers and detonated the explosives on them at the neighbouring Gamori village, killing several of the villagers.


The villagers told newsmen on Sunday that troops did not arrive in time to stop the rampaging sect fighters from unleashing maximum havoc on the community.


Military authorities confirmed that one of the places targeted by the insurgents was the Dalori Internally Displaced Persons’ camp housing over 15,000 people, who are mostly women and children from Bama.


A member of the youth vigilance group in the town, who spoke on condition of anonymity to one of our correspondents on the telephone on Sunday, said not less than 65 persons were killed with over 100 others injured in the attack on Dalori.


One of the residents of the community, who fled to Maiduguri, Yusuf Ibrahim, told one of our correspondents that the attack on the village started around 6.50pm and lasted for hours.


He lamented that the insurgents, who operated undeterred, stormed the village in Hilux vans and motorcycles dressed in army camouflage and set the houses in the village ablaze.


He said livestock were not spared as the insurgents set them on fire but looted foodstuffs.


A rescue worker, who participated in the evacuation of the victims, said 50 corpses were taken to the Borno State Specialist Hospital in Maiduguri and 15 others corpses deposited at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.


Narrating his ordeal, a resident of the village, Mallam Abba Dalori, told The PUNCH, “We were helpless as no one came to our aid when the insurgents struck on Saturday night. I am still mourning as I lost 11 persons in the siege. At present, I am still looking for five of my children, who went missing during the attack.”


Another resident of Dalori, Imam Ibrahim, who could not hold back his tears as he spoke to one of our correspondents, said the insurgents “dressed like military personnel and opened fire on everybody.’’


He added, ‘‘All our wives and children were brutally killed; our livestock were equally consumed in a great inferno that engulfed the village.”


A statement, the spokesman for the counter-insurgency operation in the North-East, Operation Lafiya Dole, Col. Mustapha Anka, while confirming the attack, however, failed to give the casualty figure.


The statement added, “In their desperate efforts for attacks on strong, determined and committed members of the Civilian Joint Task Force and innocent citizens yesterday (Saturday), 30 January, 2016, Boko Haram terrorists (insurgents) launched an attack on Dalori through Yale from (rear of Dalori village).


“An eyewitness said that the insurgents who came in two Golf cars, motorcycles, started opening fire and burning houses. Their motive was to cause rancour and penetrate the crowd with suicide bombers.


“Similarly, while people were running for their dear lives to Gomari Kerkeri village, three female suicide bombers attempted to make their way into the crowd but were intercepted and subsequently got blown off.


“During the incident, lives were lost while some people sustained injuries. The insurgents also attempted to penetrate Dalori IDP camp, but the attempt was resisted by troops, which resulted into the detonation of IEDs by suicide bombers.”


Anka added that the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj. Gen. Hassan Umaru, had sent a condolence message to the District Head of Dalori, Alhaji Lawal Bashir, and the residents over the unfortunate incident.


Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday said having lost the war to the nation’s armed forces, insurgents were desperately seeking ways of returning to wreak havoc on the society.


Buhari therefore called on all Nigerians, especially those who resided in areas previously ravaged by terrorists, to be more vigilant and ready to work with security operatives in ending the war against insurgency.


This was contained in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, on Sunday.


Buhari said this while reacting to the spate of suicide bombings in Chibok market, Dolari Internally Displaced Persons’ camp in Borno State and the Gombi market in Adamawa State.


He stated that the insurgents’ gradual return was meant to embarrass his government, pointing out that that was why they chose isolated communities and markets as their targets.


Buhari said the insurgents had suffered immensely from the sustained bombardments of their camps and hideouts by the Nigerian military and had resorted to using desperate measures to gain cheap media attention.


The President added, “Having lost the war, they (the insurgents) are seeking ways and means to gradually find their way back into society.


“They are not returning to contribute but to cause more havoc. They are so desperate to embarrass the government and the people that they have no qualms attacking isolated communities and markets.”


Buhari noted that the materials for the Improvised Explosive Devices were locally sourced by the insurgents.



Boko Haram burns children, kills 86 in Borno attacks

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Scores killed as military battles insurgents in Maiduguri

Several people have been reportedly killed as the military engaged militants suspected to be members of Boko Haram sect in a fierce gun battle that reportedly lasted for hours on Saturday.


Mercenaries to fight Boko Haram
Mercenaries to fight Boko Haram

The insurgents were said to have attacked Dalori and Walori villages, on outskirts of Maiduguri, at around some minutes past 7pm on Saturday night.


Dalori village is a few kilometres away from an Internally Displaced Persons camp, which is said to be the most populous IDP camp in the country.


Sources said Boko Haram insurgents usually mounted surprise attacks at that hour of the day, as they had studied the movement of the military.


Residents, including students of the University of Maiduguri, were said to have scampered for safety while the gunfire lasted and explosion rocked the area.


Sources in Maiduguri told our correspondent that fighting was still on going at the time of this report at 10pm. “The fighting started at around 7.30pm but we don’t know how many people have been killed or injured,” the source said.


Another source said, ‘No it is not Dalori camp, there is a village behind the camp called Dalori gari; that is the one which is being attacked by Boko Haram. They have killed many and razed the village.”


The recent attack in Maiduguri comes a day after at least 15 persons were killed, and many others injured, in a twin bomb blast that rocked the Gombi Grain Market in Adamawa State last Friday.


Also, last Wednesday, twin bomb blasts had rocked the Chibok community in Borno State, killing 11 persons and injuring 35 others.


The bomb blasts reportedly went off at a military checkpoint and a market simultaneously, shattering the fragile security situation in the town where about 219 school girls were abducted by the Boko Haram sect in 2014. The girls have yet to be rescued.d



Scores killed as military battles insurgents in Maiduguri