Showing posts with label Bafarawa. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Bafarawa. Show all posts

Monday, December 21, 2015

•To remain in prison until they meet bail conditions


Former Minister of State for Finance Bashir Yuguda, ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) Mohammed  Sambo Dasuki, former Sokoto State Governor  Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa and two others are to remain in Kuje prison, Abuja, until they meet their  bail conditions.


Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki
Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki

Justice Peter Affen of the High Court in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) gave the order yesterday in a ruling on their bail application.


Also to be remanded are former Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the NSA, Shuaibu Salisu and Bafarawa’s son, Sagir.


Yuguda, Dasuki, Bafarawa, Salisu and Sagir were arraigned with a company, Dalhatu Investment Limited on December 15 by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a 22-count of criminal breach of trust, misappropriation and retention of proceeds of crime estimated at over 20 billion.


Justice Affen, yesterday, admitted each of the five men to bail at N250 million with two sureties, who must pledge the same amount.


The judge said one of the sureties must be a director in the Federal Civil Service; they must be resident in Abuja, and must have landed property in  Abuja worth N250 million.


The judge added that title documents to the property and the defendants’ travel documents must be kept with the court.


‘’ I have carefully considered the applications and evidences tendered and found that extensive investigation was conducted in the matter.


‘’ Whatever is left was not substantial to deny the defendants bail, simply because the prosecution alleged that they may interfere with the investigation, if granted bail.


“There is no evidence to prove that the defendants, if granted bail, will commit another offence.  I found it difficult to agree with the theory of probability, as canvassed by the prosecution, to deny the defendants bail,” the judge said.


He noted that where the ill-heath of an accused person was in question, the court was enjoined to exercise its discretion in favour of the applicant, if relevant documents were presented before the court.


The judge ordered that the defendants, who had been in the custody of the EFCC, be remanded in Kuje Prison pending uintil they meet the bail conditions.


Their relatives and friends, including businessman Raymond Dokpesi, former Director of Publicity for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential campaign, Femi Fani-Kayode, who were in court, were making efforts to assist the defendants process their bail.



Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Court papers say Dasuki, Bafarawa, others allegedly stole N9.6 bn

By Sani Tukur, PT


The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has accused a former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki, a former minister of state for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, and a former director of finance at the office of the NSA, Shuaibu Salisu, of stealing N5.05 billion between April 14, 2014 and May 7, 2015.


Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki
Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki

The anti-graft agency also accused Mr. Yuguda, alongside a former governor of Sokoto state, Attahiru Bafarawa, his son, Sagir Bafarawa, and their company, Dalhatu Investment Limited, of receiving stolen property amounting to N4.633 billion from the office of the National Security Adviser.


The accused persons, who were arraigned before Justice Peter Affen of the High Court of the Federal Capital territory Abuja on Tuesday, all pleaded not guilty to a 22-count charge of fraud.


The charges are different from those raised against Mr. Dasuki and his alleged accomplices on Monday, involving the alleged misuse of N13.6 billion state funds.


Court papers obtained by PREMIUM TIMES, provide details of new charges against the former NSA. They contain supporting affidavits by a legal officer of the EFCC, Andrew Akoja.


Details of the 22-count charge against the suspects showed that Messrs. Dasuki and Salisu, between April 14, 2014 and May 7, 2015, transferred N3.350 billion from the account of the NSA with Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to the account of “Dalhatu Investment Limited with United Bank for Africa Plc, purporting same to be payment for the supply of security equipment”.


Mr. Bafarawa and his son, Sagir, as well as their company, Dalhatu Investment were also charged with collecting N3.350 billion from the former NSA “knowing the said sum to be stolen property but purporting same to be payment for the supply of security equipment”.


Messrs. Dasuki and Salisu are also accused of transferring another N500 million from the account of the NSA with Skye Bank to the account of Dalhatu Investment Limited with UBA on December, 20 2014 “purporting same to be payment for the supply of security equipment”.


Dalhatu Investment and the Bafarawas are also accused of receiving the same N500 Million even after “knowing same to be stolen property”.


The Bafawaras and their company are also accused of receiving another N100 million from a company, Jabbama Ada Global, on the instruction of former minister Yuguda, purportedly for the presidential campaign of the Peoples Democratic Party in Sokoto State, and knowing that the sum belonged to the Nigerian government.


Mr. Bafarawa, his son, Sagir, and their company Dalhatu Investment are also accused of “dishonestly receiving” N783 million between June 25 and August 20, 2014 into their account with UBA from the account of SAS Imprest Main Account with the CBN on the instruction of Mr. Dasuki.


More Charges


Mr. Bafarawa was also charged alone for collecting N100 million from Mr. Yuguda between February and April 2015, being stolen government money, but for which it was reportedly used in respect of the PDP campaign in the North Western part of Nigeria.


Messrs. Dasuki and Salisu were also alleged to have transferred N400 million from the account of NSA with Zenith Bank to the account of Jabbama Ada Global Services limited controlled by former minister Bashir Yuguda on 16 April 2015.


The former NSA and his director of Finance, Salisu, also allegedly transferred N1.1 billion to the same account of Jabbama Ada Global Services belonging to Mr. Yuguda between February 5 and April 16for the purpose of financing PDP campaigns in the 2015 general election.


Mr. Yuguda was also alleged to have transferred N200 million on December 31, 2014 from the funds in the Federation Account Allocation Committee with Ecobank Plc to the account of Jabbama Ada Global, his personal company.


He also reportedly converted the money into Dollar equivalent and collected same.


Between December 23, 2014 and February 10, 2015, Mr. Yuguda was said to have “dishonestly misappropriated” the aggregate sum of $9,809,169, which was an equivalent of N1.95 billion belonging to the Nigerian government, by transferring same to Jabbam Ada Global Services Limited.


Messrs. Dasuki and Salisu also between August 2013 and February 2015 allegedly “dishonestly misappropriated” N1.675 billion by transferring the money to the account of Vibrant Resources Limited with Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, controlled by Abubakar Dasuki, the younger brother of the former NSA, purporting same to be payment for the supply of security equipment.


After they all pleaded not guilty to the charges, and their counsel said application for bail had already been submitted, Justice Affen fixed Wednesday for hearing on the bail application.



Court papers say Dasuki, Bafarawa, others allegedly stole N9.6 bn

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Bafarawa, Yuguda, plead not guilty to N13bn scam charges

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Tuesday arraigned  a former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda;  former Governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa;  his son Sagir Attahiru, and their firm Dalhatu Investment on 22 counts of misappropriation of about N13bn meant for purchase of arms by the Office of the National Security Adviser.


The former governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa
The former governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa

‎Also to arraigned along with them before a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama are the immediate past NSA, Sambo Dasuki and a former Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the NSA, Shuaibu Salisu.


The accused were said to have misappropriated the money between August 2013 and May 7, 2015.


All the accused were arraigned before Justice Peter Affen, who had on Monday granted leave to the EFCC to prefer the charges against the accused persons.


They pleaded not guilty to 22 counts of conspiracy,  dishonest receipt of stolen property in breach of sections 97 and 317 of the Penal Code Act as well as receipt of proceeds of criminal conducts in breach of section 17(b) of the EFCC Act.


Both Dasuki and Salisu were on Monday arraigned alongside Aminu Baba-Kusa and his two firms – Acacia Holdings Ltd and Reliance Referral Hospital Limited – before Justice Yusuf Baba of the same FCT High Court in Maitama on separate  19 counts involving alleged N32bn fraud.


After the arraignment on Tuesday, Justice Affen fixed Wednesday for hearing of the accused persons bail applications.



Bafarawa, Yuguda, plead not guilty to N13bn scam charges

Sunday, December 13, 2015

I gave N600 million to George, Odili, Bafarawa, Nwobodo, others -Ex-minister Yuguda

•Offers to recover N600m and help trace the balance
•Bafarawa: I got N100m but Yuguda didn’t tell me where it came from


The embattled former Minister of State, Bashir Yuguda, has told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he gave a total of N600million cash to six chairmen of the Contact and Mobilisation Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2015 general election.


Corruption in NigeriaHe listed the beneficiaries as Bode George (South-West); Amb. Yerima Abdullahi (North-East); Peter Odili (South-South); Attahiru Bafarawa (North-West);  Jim Nwobodo (South -East); and Ahmadu Ali (North-Central).


He said he instructed Jabbama Limited to transfer N300million to BAM Properties whose account detail was given to him by a former National Chairman of PDP, Bello Haliru.


Yuguda, who made the allegations in a Statement of Witness/ Caution which he wrote on oath, said he sent N200million to the erstwhile PDP Governorship candidate in Kebbi State, Bello Sarkin Yaki.


He said a former Governor of Zamfara State, Mahmud Aliyu Shinkafi, also got N100million.


The statement is part of the proof of evidence against the former minister whose trial is scheduled to commence this week at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).


Yuguda will stand trial with ex-Governor Attahiru Bafarawa and his son, Sagir Attahiru; Dalhatu Investment Limited.


The ex-minister is expected to account for over N3.050billion including N1.1billion being part of the funds in the account of the ONSA and aggregate sum of N1,950,000 belonging to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which sum was transferred to Jabbama Ada Global Services.


The ex-minister said: “For the cash disbursement of N600million, it was meant for the six zonal chairmen for Contact and Mobilisation Committees for Election of 2015. The chairmen are Bode George, Amb. Yerima Abdullahi; Peter Odili; Attahiru Bafarawa; Jim Nwobodo; Ahmadu  Ali. The sum of N100million was given to each chairman. I gave the money in company of Prof. Alkali, who was Political Adviser to former president. The zonal chairmen are for the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP). I also instructed Jabbama Limited to transfer the sum of N100m to Dalhatu Limited on the request of Attahiru Bafarawa.


“I also remember that Bello Sarkin Yaki was among the people that the then NSA instructed that I send the sum of N200million to. He was the PDP gubernatorial candidate in Kebbi State.”


Yuguda, who claimed that he had liaised with Stallion Limited, gave the details of other disbursements.


His words: “I knew the chairman of Stallion Limited whose second name I cannot remember. Between December 2014 to June 2015, on the instruction of the then NSA, I introduced Jabbama Limited to a staff of the company on the instruction of the chairman.


“When the account was in credit, disbursement was made from time to time on the instruction of the then NSA. Part in foreign exchange or transfers.


“I wish to add that sometime in February 2015, I instructed Jabbama to transfer the sum of N300m to BAM Properties. The account was given to me by Bello Haliru as one of the people the former NSA requested me to give money. I also remember that Mahmud Aliyu Shinkafi was sent the sum of N100million on the instruction of the then NSA.


“Further to my statement of 30th November, 2015, I have brought the sum of $829,800(equivalent to N200m) and N600m was given to me to distribute to the six PDP Zonal Committee chairmen. I don’t know who are the directors of Dalhatu Investment Limited but funds were transferred to the company’s account on the instruction of Dalhatu Bafarawa for the total amount of N1.5billion received from the then NSA by Jabbama Limited.


“I shall endeavour to recover the sum of N600million given to the six zonal PDP committee chairmen, while I appeal to the commission to use their machineries to trace the remaining balance of the money transferred to various accounts.”


The former minister however denied receiving another N200million credited to him.


“I have been shown transaction of N200million from the Office of the Accountant-General to Jabbama which Jabbama said it’s on my instruction but I cannot remember this instruction until I crosscheck,” he said.


Some of the charges against Yuguda are: “That you Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki whilst being National Security Adviser and Shaibu Salisu, whilst being the Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the National Security Adviser, Bashir Yuguda whilst being the Minister of State for Finance between 5th February and 16th April 2015 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court entrusted with dominion over certain properties to wit: an aggregate sum of N1.1billion being part of the funds in the account of the National Security Adviser with CBN committed criminal breach of trust in respect of the said property when you transferred same to the account of Jabbama Ada Global Services Nigeria Limited for the purpose of financing the campaign of PDP in the 2015 general election and you thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 315 of the Penal Code Act, Cap 532, Vol.4, LFN 2004.


“That you, Bashir Yuguda whilst being Minister of State for Finance between 23rd December 2014 and 10th February, 2015 in Abuja within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court dishonestly misappropriated certain property to wit: an aggregate sum of $9,809,619 which was an equivalent of the aggregate sum of N1,950,000 belonging to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which sum was transferred to Jabbama Ada Global Services to be converted into the said dollars and you  thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 309  of the Penal Code Act, Cap 532, Vol.4, LFN 2004.”


Meanwhile, a former Governor of Sokoto State, Alh. Attahiru Bafarawa, admitted that he collected N100million from Yuguda through Sagir Attahiru.


Bafarawa, in his statement to the EFCC, said: “I know Bashir Yuguda. He called me to tell me there is money to be given for (sic) the North-West Campaign Committee which I asked how much and he told me is N100million for the seven states and ask (sic) to give it to Sagir which he did and the money was sent to the states campaign committee between 20th and 21st of February 2015 for the PDP Campaign for General Election.


“He did not tell me where the money was coming from. I did not ask him where the money was coming from.


“Sagir is my son and I directed Sagir to send the money to state chairmen campaign committee for PDP North-West.


“I also received N100million (dollar equivalent) from the North-West Campaign Committee. The money was given to me in the PDP National Chairman, Alh. Adamu Muazu house in Abuja in the presence of all the zonal chairmen as listed …and after collecting all this (sic) money, I gave the money to Abdullahi Yauri who was the Secretary of the North-West Campaign Committee to share to the state chapter and Yuguda didn’t tell me where he got the money from.”



I gave N600 million to George, Odili, Bafarawa, Nwobodo, others -Ex-minister Yuguda