Jolted by the sacking of the former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Andrew Yakubu, the people of Southern Kaduna have blamed the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Dieziani Madueke, for Yakubu’s misfortune.
Minister of Petroleum, Alison-Madueke and NNPC GMD, Andrew Yakubu
The Southern Kaduna people, kinsmen of the former NNPC chief, at a press briefing on Thursday in Kaduna, asked President Goodluck Jonathan to immediately remove the Minister for alleged inability to handle the affairs of the ministry, which had been bedeviled by controversies.
The Chairman of Gurara,Vincent Bodan, who addressed newsmen, expressed the disappointment of the people of Southern Kaduna with the sacking of Yakubu, noting that they were now believing the rumor that the current administration of Jonathan had been hijacked by a cabal.
He said, “We have hitherto been unbelieving of the rumours making the rounds that the government of President Jonathan has been hijacked and pocketed by the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs (Diezani) Alison-Madueke; but we are now forced to believe those rumours.
“It is apparent that the erstwhile Group Managing Director of the NNPC, Andrew Laah Yakubu, was in a no love lost with his former boss, the Minister of Petroleum.
“It is an established fact that the former GMD has done very well in injecting professionalism into the NNPC, which can easily be verified at the corporation. with his transformation agenda at the NNPC of commercialisation and profit orientation, where the Strategic Business Units transited from cost centres to profit centres.
“The refineries are working at minimum 50 per cent capacity, augmenting importation of petroleum products and saving the country huge amounts of foreign exchange.
“Queues at the filling stations disappeared under the former GMD. Petroleum products are found in all nooks and crannies of the country due to effective distribution strategies under the leadership of Andrew Yakubu, thereby stabilising prices.
“One would think a President would keep such an asset in his administration, but to our chagrin, that wasn’t to be as this minister has changed, in just four years, four GMDs as she is now working with the fifth GMD, which is drawing the ire of many concerned citizens.”
The Kaduna State All Progressives Congress (APC) Justice Forum has frowned on the recent removal of Andrew Yakubu as the Group Managing Director (GMD) of Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by President Goodluck Jonathan.
Engr. Andrew Yakubu
The group, in a statement signed by Mr Mohammed Soba and made available to newsmen in Kaduna, on Sunday, said it was the height of betrayal of the people of Kaduna State and particularly the Southern Kaduna senatorial distict that stood firmly behind the PDP since 1999.
“We are aware that Mr Yakubu had planned to organise a solidarity rally for President Jonathan in Southern Kaduna senatorial district last Saturday without involving the vice-president, Kaduna State governor and the Senator representing Southern Kaduna senatorial district.
“The unceremonious removal of Mr Yakubu has exposed the contradictions within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), “No reason was adduced for Yakubu’s removal because none could be justified in view of the fact that Yakubu has one more year for his tenure to expire either by reason of reaching the mandatory 60 years of age or putting in 35 years in service.”
“The Kaduna APC Justice Forum, therefore, condemns the premature removal of Mr Yakubu, which portrays the PDP as unjust to the political solidarity and patronage it enjoys from the good people of Southern Kaduna.”
The controversy surrounding the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke over the reckless spending of N10 billion on chartered jet which was said to have ben provided by the Nigerian Petroleum Corporation (NPPC) may have ben out of control as the minister has taken it out on those she thinks leak the information.
Minister of Petroleum, Alison-Madueke and NNPC GMD, Andrew Yakubu
Worried by how the information leaked to the public, the embattled minister is read to fire two of her Spacial Assistants. The two Special Assistant is suspected by the Minister as those behind the leakage of the chartered jet.
A former Minister who was recently fired from the cabinet and some other top officials who Diezani also suspected with the leakage is involved in the management fallout.
According to the information that reached the media through a source in the ministry, “There was disquiet in the Minister’s office on Wednesday when some aides were threatened with sack by the Minister. In fact, one of the affected assistants is in charge of a sensitive unit.
“But at the close of work on Thursday, I saw the affected aides in office. No one was sure whether they came to clear their desks or someone from the top has acceded on their behalf. The true picture will emerge on Tuesday when we resume work.”
The controversy has led to a cold war between Alison Madueke and Andrew Yakubu, the Group Managing Director of NNPC.
It was gathered that for the fear of losing the support of the people from Southern Kaduna for President Goodluck Jonathan’s second term bid, Yakubu was removed from his position last week by the Presidency.
According to the information, The President is hoping on the Northern minorities and Christians to win his election in 2015 against the backdrop of perceived hostility of the Hausa-Fulani oligarchy in the North against his ambition.
Despite the tune the issue has taken, the Hosue of Represenatives has continue his move to investigate the scandal concerning the reckless spending on April 28.
It is gathered that the House of Represenatives Committee on Public Accounts already has documents including the movement log of Challenger 850 jets in its possession
Investigations by our correspondent revealed that the chartered jet scandal has caused considerable disquiet in the presidency leading to a major split in the seat of power.
While some forces are supporting the minister to confront the House Committee by challenging its powers to investigate in court, some friends and associates of the President Goodluck Jonathan are pleading with him to allow the minister bear her cross.
It was, however, learnt that the division has put the minister in a difficult position leading to a desperate moves to reorganise her office and deployment of propaganda by her supporters through the organization of a pocket of pro-Diezani rallies in Abuja.
A top source said: “The chartered jet allegation has put the presidency under undue pressure on whether the Minister should face the probe or not. Although some forces believe that the presidency should live up to its avowed commitment to the fight against corruption, others feel the House should be checked following suspicion that it is using the investigation to undermine the presidency.
“This explains why some people in the presidency are backing Diezani to go to court to obtain injunction to restrain the House Committee on Public Accounts. There is a plan to hang on to legal technicalities to stall the probe.
“Despite plans to frustrate the probe, all is not well in Diezani’s office on how the leakage came about leading to threats to sack two Special Assistants to the Minister during the week. She was said to be uncomfortable with the roles of the SAs on her travel logs with the jet.
“There is so much anger everywhere from the Minister because she has never been under heat like in the past few weeks. During the week, the blame game continued culminating in a cold war between the Minister and some NNPC officials. It got to a stage when she was almost sacking the Group Managing Director of NNPC, Andrew Yakubu.
“A major source of the war borders on the alleged refusal of the NNPC to pay the outstanding N1.56billion debt on the Challenger 850 jet.
“About 500,000 Euros (aboutN130 million) was paid monthly to hire the jet. The company managing the lease of the aircraft is being owed for 12 months which amounted to about N1.56 billion. The NNPC management was said to be reluctant to pay the debt.
“It is also suspected that some NNPC officials might have contributed to the leakage of information on the chartered jet causing some friction between the Minister and the GMD.
“Also, the GMD was said to be unhappy at being sidelined in decision-making process by the Minister. If she had her way, the GMD would have gone by now.”
It was, however, feared that Yakubu’s sack might trigger political backlash and that “the President would lose the sympathy of Northern minorities who are mostly in the North-Central and some parts of the North-East. The President might lose the support of Northern minority, especially the people of Southern Kaduna, who have been complaining of marginalisation.”
Responding to a question, the source said: “Concerning the GMD’s fate, I am aware that he was in London for a greater part of the week for a meeting of the NLNG. Whatever happened must have been at the top.”
Meanwhile, as the House Committee prepares for its inquiry, more documents and fact-sheets on the chartered Challenger jet have been submitted by firms and individuals connected with the transactions.
One source on the committee said: “We are set for the inquiry although the Minister has refused to respond to queries from the committee. Instead, there was a plot to distract the House by casting aspersions on Speaker Aminu Tambuwal.
“We will not join issues with anybody or group on this probe. Rather, we will ensure that we are fair and objective as possible to the Minister and whoever may appear before us.
“So far, we have got relevant information to set the stage for our probe. The Minister appears indisposed to our summons, we will go ahead. No amount of propaganda by media consultants can stop us.
“The House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts is already in possession of the manifest of the Minister’s trips. We have also received a fact-sheet indicating that the aircraft lease firm, Vista Jet is being owed N1.56 billion for 12 months at 500,000 Euros (aboutN130 million) per month.
“We now have response from Evergreen, which has provided records of the movement of the jet in question. They, however, did not include the manifest. We understand that they are claiming that officially the other agencies in the aviation sector are to provide manifests for the House Committee.”